Biltong Mousse & Crackers
A soft, delicate and idyllic pre-dinner snack that will send your taste buds into gentle gastronomic orbit. Best served with an assortment of crackers or Melba toast.
Looking for something light and delectable to tide you over before a hearty meal? Then look no further than our biltong mousse on crackers or toast. Whether prepared to simply spoil yourself (merely downsize the ingredient ratio) or to indulge an array of lucky guests, this recipe will hit just the right savory spot, no matter the season or the occasion. With a faultless contrast of textures and moreish flavors, MBT’s protein packed biltong blends brilliantly with the more delicate taste of fresh herbs, evaporated milk and mascarpone cheese to orchestrate a delightful symphony certain to hit the perfect notes, no matter how many times you play this easy to prepare culinary tune. Carne diem all the way! Pick up the tempo and start conducting straight away.
Ditch the main dish and get cracking on festive flavor. Bon appétit!
- 3 oz Made by True biltong, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh rocket, chopped
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 fl oz evaporated milk
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp gelatine powder
- a pinch of oregano
- ¼ cup fresh cream
- 1 packet of assorted crackers or Melba toast
- Lightly grease a molding dish with sesame oil.
- Fry the onion in olive oil until crispy.
- Add balsamic vinegar and chopped rocket.
- Dissolve the gelatine powder in ½ cup boiling water until it becomes spongey.
- Whisk the evaporated milk and cream until firm.
- Fold the mascarpone cheese and mayonnaise into the evaporated milk mixture.
- Add the onion mix and ground oregano.
- Add the finely chopped Made by True biltong.
- Pour the mixture into the molding dish.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Gently unmold.
- Serve with assorted crackers or Melba toast.