Table of contents
- Personal information we collect
- How do we use your personal information?
- Sharing your personal Information
- Behavioral advertising
- Do not track
- Your rights
- Data retention
- Contact us
Personal information we collect
While visiting the Site, we automatically collect certain data regarding your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone and some of the cookies installed on your device (hmmm, coookies – doesn’t come close to our meat snacks, though). Additionally, as you browse our Site, we collect stats about the individual web pages or products you’ve viewed, which websites or search terms referred you here (our thanks to those BTW), as well as some info about how you interact with our Site. We refer to this automatically-collected data as “Device Information” (much as we refer to our biltong as “Got To Have Some”).
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” (not the edible kind) are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” (not made of wood) track actions occurring on the Site and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons” (not bacon), “tags” (you’re not ‘it’), and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site. Frankly, we’re as befuddled as some of you out there at all this jargon, but our tech guys assure us they’re all legit (and necessary). We trust ’em, leaving us free to craft the world’s finest biltong for you to happily enjoy.
How do we use your personal information?
Glad you asked. We use the Order Information that we generally collect to fulfil any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment info, arranging for shipping and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations); all in an effort to get the good stuff to you without delay, Made by True-ers. Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
- Communicate with you (hi there);
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud (someone’s gotta do it, sad to say); and last but certainly not least...
- When in line with the preferences you’ve shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services (which your taste buds will thank us for later – no more FOMO when you receive our promos).
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers – that’s all you fine folks out there with discerning taste – browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns). The better we do, the more we can offer every True Believer. Let’s see how spectacularly we can grow this thing, shall we? After all (and to paraphrase Pat Benatar), we biltong together.
Sharing your personal Information
We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Info as described above. For example, we use WooCommerce (woohoo! – just love those guys) to power our online store – you can read more about how WooCommerce uses your Personal Information here: https://automattic.com/privacy/. We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how Made by True-ers use the Site. The more we know, the better the experience we can offer you (this also applies to our never-ending quest to refine the perfect biltong recipe, so wins all around). You can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. And wouldn’t you know it, you can also opt out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Finally, we may also share your Personal Information in order to comply with applicable laws and regulations, for example to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
As described above, we use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you (which, in fact, should have every True Believer truly excited). For more particulars about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can always opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below (but then you might miss out on what we have coming down the pike next):
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
- Bing: https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can also opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/. As just mentioned, we highly recommend that you keep receiving our advertising, though, as you never know what spectacular new form of meat snack will be headed your way next.
Do not track
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser. Also note that the word “delicious” abjectly fails at describing how truly wonderful our meat snacks are. Indeedly-doodly (and Made by True-ly), MBT is a cut above the rest.
If you’re a European resident (hello, Hans and Agnetha – auf Wiedersehen, Björn and Sigrid), you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal info be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you’d like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you’re a European resident, we note that we’ll process your information in order to fulfil any contracts we might have with you (for example if you make an order through the Site), or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests as listed above. Also, please observe that your info will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
When you place an order through the Site, we’ll maintain your Order Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this info. Unlikely though, as one bite and you’re bound to be a biltong fanatic for life. Trust us – we’re bona fide bovine experts.
The Site is not intended for individuals under the age of 18. Ask Mom, Dad or your favorite grownup to order some Made by True goodies straight to your doorstep until you’re of the age to order all the Made by True meat snacks your jaw could ever handle (in our experience, kids, pacing is the key; start practising today).
For more deets about our privacy practices, should you have any questions, or even if you’d like to make a complaint, please hit us up via e mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you, True Believers. It’s been a real pleasure chewing the fat.